December 19, 2003

Flyers Showing Why They Won't Win Cup


Coming off of their incredible winning streak, the Flyers have in the last week shown why they simply cannot win a Stanley Cup with the current team. Two things are particularly alarming to a long-time follower:
  1. The goaltending. Besides the bulk numbers of 23 saves on 28 shots, the goaltending is NOT stepping up to make big saves. I don't care how many goals can be "written off" to a bad error by a skater, the goalie has to make some key stops. That wins cups.
  2. The overtime record of 2-3-8 doesn't speak well for the club. The past years' playoffs have shown that teams need to be able to win in overtime to win series. Granted the bogus point now received in the NHL for just making it to overtime is a factor... but bad habits develop out of logic like that. With Hitch at the helm, I'm surprised at this particular problem.

Granted, I only follow these guys in print (a loud "boo" to Comcast!) nowadays, but am I missing something?

Fly, Eagles, Fly!
Big Daddy B

No comments: