December 6, 2010

[insert last name-related pun, question marks here]


In the words of Kyle Broflovski's mom — "What, what, WHAAAAAAT?"

It looks like agent Scott Boras found the one team to actually pay what he wanted for Jayson Werth, that being $126 million over seven years (for the tidy sum of $18 million per). That team? The perennial NL East bottom dweller Washington Nationals.

It was probably inevitable that he would leave, but it came a little earlier than expected. And I don't think anyone saw the Nationals being in the picture.

I hope it works out for Werth. I certainly can't blame for taking the best offer (even if I might have taken less to stay with a winner). But this thing looks like it's set for failure. Werth struggled for stretches this past season, and even Charlie Manuel said he was pushing too much in a contract year. How's the pressure of living up to this huge contract going to feel?

Werth's kind of an off dude, though. Maybe it won't bug him.

Of more importance 'round these parts is what do the Phillies do to replace Werth. Because while he might not be worthy of that contract, he was a five-tool player and integral part of the team's recent success.

Star prospect Domonic Brown (another lefty bat) will play, and the Phils figure to sign a vet for insurance, but will the team be better?

NOTES:

— If the Nationals are an up-and-coming team, then why did they let the popular Adam Dunn go?

— Is it possible for Carl Crawford to get this much money from a team? In the crazy world of sports contracts, he might actually be worth that much (even if I expect his numbers to drop a bit outside of Tampa).

— Photo credit: ME

No comments: