May 17, 2009

To the loser goes the spoils


Lower division teams happily embracing blowout beatings from Division I powers for the sake of a buck is a time-honored tradition in college football. But it usually doesn't require the forfeiture of another game.

Delaware State will play Michigan this season, but has to forfeit a previously scheduled conference game against North Carolina A&T. So they're already 0-1 for 2009 and, looking ahead to their trip to The Big House, probably 0-2. Del State ain't no Appalachian State, afterall.

I don't know how much Del State will make off this deal (or what pride is worth), but I'd like to see how that money ends up getting spent.

NOTE: I see the simmering Delaware and Del State football rivalry will be renewed this season after 30-some years. As such, the following would also have been accepted for post headline — "He hates these (blue helmets with yellow stripes)! Stay away from the (blue helmets with yellow stripes)!"

No comments: