August 2, 2005

Flyers signings


Flyers were looking for size along the blue line and they got what they were looking for. They signed Derian Hatcher (6-5, 225) and Mike Rathje (6-5, 235) and also brought back Chris Therienable (6-5, 234). They obstensibly traded Markov to Nashville to make cap room but I'm sure him being only 195 pounds had something to do with the decision.

So the Flyers got size but they also got age, injuries, slow players, and zero point production. Hatcher is recovering from torn knee ligaments and is 33. Therien has had a career long battle with sucking, has one eye and is 33. Rathje is 31. I'm not enamored with these signings. I'm tired of old, slow, broken down players. I didn't think they'd get Niedermayer or Pronger at the high prices they are commanding but Adam Foote was certainly available. But he's old and injury prone too so I guess they did what they could. The Flyers got depth as well instead of one big signing and Hitchcock should be able to figure out how best to use these players.

The Flyers also re-signed Phantoms forward Jon Sim to a a one-way NHL contract. Sim was great for the Phantoms during their Calder Cup championship run and won a Stanley Cup with Dallas when Hitchcock was coach there.

No comments: