April 23, 2004

I'm NOT with Welbourne!


While BDB was totally behind Runyan's respectfully submitted comments against AR's anti-run offense, he is not so supportive of Welbourne's derisive comments this morning on WIP (which I heard live in entirety). To sit there and whine about an unfair management that will not renegotiate a contract that he VOLUNTARILY signed is absurd. Maybe I should send back some of my stock gains, so that I don't feel overpaid for the few big winners. A philosophy like that would lead to a losing porfolio YEAR after YEAR, since I'd never get back my losses (while diluting the wins).

Welbourne misses the fact that several athletes end up on the opposite side of the deal, making big bucks for little to no output. It's a business and he took the comfort of a long contract over the "risk" of a smaller one, which would have allowed later renegotiation or free agency (or unemployment if he was a bust). I can't sympathize with him all that much, especially with $3MM+ in signing bonus money that he got. Welbourne, go get a new agent and complain to him.

Hats off to Eagles for drafting Welbourne and inking him at a bargain for the long haul. He's exceeded many expectations and was a good signing by the Birds. Now if he'd just quit whining, get on the field, and win a superbowl for us...

No comments: