April 15, 2004

Hitch's Adjustments Lead to a Perfect Game


After the first loss of the series the Flyers were forced to make some subtle adjustments. In game three Hitch's top line only managed two shots, so he decided to flip flop centers and move Primeau up with Recchi and LeClair, and put Handzus back with Gagne and Kapinen. This move seems to have balanced out the lines a bit. The result, well Primeau's new line didn't score on its first shift but they came close. However Handzus and his new mates did come through at 1:18, when Handzus and Kapinen each got an assist on Johnsson's goal. In the third period Primeau would score one and hot line of Roenick, Amonte and Zhamnov would come through using the Russian connection of Markov and Zhamnov.

But the real story of the game was Robert Esche stopping everything that came his way! Not only was he able to stop everything but he was able to stop everything and look calm, cool, and collected while doing so. As I watched Robert Esche close out the final seconds of his first NHL Playoff shut out. I couldn't help but get visions of the team holding the cup up over their heads.

However this morning I decided to check in and see how some of the other goalies are doing and I was in for a rude awakening. How about Khabibulin? The Bulin Wall is currently standing strong with a .982 save percentage and 0.50 GAA. WHOA! The Bruins (who I predict the flyers will see next round) also have a rookie goalie in net, Andrew Raycroft, who didn't allow a goal in the first 95:53 of his NHL playoff career! Maybe my vision of our team holding up the cup was a little premature. It's a long road to the Cup but so far so good! NHL.com Summary THN's Goalie Ranking.

No comments: