September 22, 2003

Another "groupie" bandwagoneer


This story appeared in the Daily News and Philadelphia Inquirer last week:
When U.S. Air Force senior airman Andrew Sama started packing for the Middle East back in March, he saw his Donovan McNabb jersey sitting there in the drawer. Sama paused for no more than a second before tossing it into his bag.

"I didn't know how long I was going to be over there,'' Sama said yesterday. "I figured if they make it to the Super Bowl, and I'm still over there, I've got to be able to show some pride.''

So that was how Sama, a Vineland, N.J., native and diehard Eagles fan, found himself in Baghdad, with his McNabb jersey, one day early in May.
(snip)
Sama decided to have a friend, National Guard Staff Sgt. Dan Reilly, take a photo of Sama holding his jersey up in front of a Saddam Hussein mural at Baghdad's airport.
(snip)
Sama, 25, called the photo "a little piece of history...something I can show my kids.

As grateful as he was to meet McNabb and other Eagles yesterday, Sama remained a true fan.

He said he was not among the fans who booed McNabb on Sunday.

"I booed the offense," he admitted, "I booed the playcalling."
Doesn't he know Freddie Mitchell is putting food on the table?

No comments: