May 22, 2007

Various sports stuff


Have you heard about the McNabb trade rumour? McNabb to Chicago for Lance Briggs as talked about on WIP as reported by Don McKee as told to him by "one of the area's most sage football observers," someone that works for the NFL.

I actually heard this idea when I was listening to Mark Eckel's show the week following the draft when a caller suggested exactly the same thing. I guess it's only news when an "NFL insider" tells Don McKee his delusion and the Inquirer prints it. And what's weird is that Eckel was on the WIP morning show Monday and they asked him about the trade rumour and he didn't mention the call although he gave pretty much the exact same answer he gave a couple weeks ago - Eagles would never do that because they are competing with the Bears to go to the Super Bowl.

///

Stupid NBC. I was enjoying game 5 of the Eastern Conference championship between Buffalo and Ottawa which went into overtime. Instead of staying with the game NBC went to the Preakness pre-race show which was incredibly banal, pointless, and boring. Instead of showing Alfredson scoring the winning goal which sent Ottawa to the Cup finals for the first time we got incredibly interesting insights on the brief rain showers in Baltimore and were informed that Street Sense was the favorite to win the Triple Crown this year.

///

So the Phillies won 7 out of 10 during their homestand but actually lost ground to Atlanta and the Mets. They have no chance.

///

So why all the moral outrage over dog fighting as it relates to Michael Vick? Sure the dogs were brutalized but lots of other animals are treated equally as bad or worse for human food and fashion (If I listened, I'm sure Eskin is condemning Vick while completely obvlivious to his hypocrisy.) Is it because the dogs were maltreated for entertainment? What about circuses and numerous low budget zoos then?

///

The "Best of the Nest" series that Macknow thought up was OK. The results of many of the games were questionable with highly improbable plays determining outcomes. Reggie White with no sacks? Dorsey Levens with long runs around the edge? The 2004 Eagles calling a sweep with 1 second left in the half from the 17 yard line - and scoring a TD on it? Also, the program that was used to play the imaginary games seemed to heavily weight offensive stats. What made the series though was Joe Conklin's game recreations, his impersonations, and his clever jokes and insults. I'll laugh everytime he does Mike Quick. If not for Conklin, I would have been bored.

No comments: