October 5, 2005

Same Old Routine?


Well, October 5th is here. For many of us, it's just a normal day of routine. I'm sure you got up, did a triple S (s*it, shower, and shave), maybe had some breakfast, and then got in your car, driving off to work for the man. But in your commute, perhaps you turned on WIP and heard Angelo (in between whining about a bunch of somethings and nothings) talk about how tonight, the Flyers open the regular season against the Rangers. Then something might have clicked, because a night of hockey certainly is not routine. Then again, we're talking about the Flyers and if history proves itself, they'll screw it up again, as losing is certainly part of the routine they've been stuck in for almost 30 years.

But will this year be different? Has Clarke and company done their homework and finally put the team together that will bring the Cup back to Broad Street? I defiantly think so, but then again, I've been saying that since the 4th grade and have absolutely nothing to show for it. Really though, when you break it down on paper, they have a great shot.

Forget Forsberg, we know if he stays healthy (he sat for all of preseason after ankle surgery except for one game, and it's noteworthy that he looked great and scored in that game) he'll be a natural leader, both in stats and in playoff experience. Hatcher? I'm not sure about him, as again, it's an injury issue (not to mention his physical style of play is frowned upon by the NHL's new set of "rules"), but Hitch loves him so he'll add depth to an already deep blue line (with the exception of Therien, he blows). Rathje was a pleasure to watch during preseason and Knuble, although he shows some of his age, will add to the Flyers already strong offense (however, fat chicks in spandex with their old Tocchet jerseys will hate this dude, as he sports number 22).

The media is pointing to Gagne as one of the Flyers stars, and I agree with them. He'll have a break out year. Still, the dudes we all should keep an eye on are the young guys, as they'll make the difference this year folks. Full-time Phlexheads Ron and OB did some serious scouting last year on Carter and Richards, who both contributed well in preseason, but I think the guy to focus on is Jon Sim. Finishing with 8 goals in 7 games during the preseason, he certainly seems to have kept the spark from last year and will be a guy to get the puck to on the powerplay.

Johnsson will be the defenseman that will carry the team (maybe he can teach Pitkanen a thing or two in the process, or Desjardins can will him some experience, as he's due to kick the bucket any day now) and once Kapanen comes back in December (out with a shoulder injury), he'll add some grit and guts that only a dude who's 5 foot 9 can. Look for Primeau to impress Wood even more with some late game heroics, and let's all pray that Handzus gets a f'n haircut.

Besides the ever evident possibility of injuries ripping the team apart, the only problem one can foresee is goaltending. Nittymaki was one of the main reasons the Troll was sipping from the Calder Cup last year, and in his first three NHL starts two years ago, he went 3 and 0 letting in a total of only 3 goals. I'll be honest in saying he looked a bit shaky in the preseason, but once he has some more games under his belt, he'll most defiantly give Esche a run for the starting spot. Still, one cannot forget the performance Esche gave during the 03-04 playoffs, and with that experience, I think he'll be the guy to carry the team deep into the post season. I should also mention he was spotted riding the Zamboni around City Hall last month, tossing hats to those in attendance, and when I yelled out, "Good luck this year Eschey," he replied, "Thanks buddy." Now that he and I are buddies, I think he'll do an alright job (he's gotta paint over the Kid Rock portrait on his helmet though).

The NHL may be banking on the Flyers as well, for the new home of weekly games, the OLN, has picked tonight's game as the national one to televise (some are pissed they won't be watching Crosby make his NHL debut). Those who shelled out money to actually be at the Wachovia Center tonight will be treated to a plethora of goodies, most notably the "Back Where We Belong" t-shirt and a sweet Flyers bandana to twirl when Jager gets crunched into the boards. It should also be noted that many National experts have picked the Flyers as early Cup favorites, although most of the dudes at ESPN favor the Flames.

So it's another year of Flyers hockey friends. Another year of worrying. Another aching pit in our stomachs come June when the same old routine can ring true: an early exit from the playoffs, leaving us only with a question we are all so tired of asking, "Will we ever win?" This year, I think the answer is, "Yes."

Well, I do not think it yet, I just hope it for right now. After all, being a bit reserved is a part of a Flyers fan routine.

No comments: